RCHeliCopterTown Forums
www.rchelicoptertown.com
Welcome to RCHelicopterTown Forum! Register and participate in forum discussions!

Go Back   RCHeliCopterTown Forums > RC Helicopter Pilot Resource Center > RC Helicopter tools
FAQDonate Glossary Home Forum Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

RC Helicopter tools Discuss and post any question on RC helicopter tools such as emitter, tach, pitch gauge, etc.

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 70 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Donate to support this site...

» Site Navigation
» Home
 > FAQ
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsor Links
» Online Users: 38
0 members and 38 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 421, 12-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.
» Stats
Members: 46,611
Threads: 3,505
Top Poster: swatson144 (5,296)
Welcome to our newest member, immitswat
» Today's Birthdays
None

Old 09-20-2007
Master
Moderator III

Swashplate Level tool

I think it is handy but I have not used it. Has anybody used it and share your thoughts?

Old 09-21-2007
Senior
Tech Support II

Need to see a pic. I tend to use the Mk1 eyeball.

It's only money and I can't take it with me.
Old 09-21-2007
Value Member

I had someone that had one help me level my swashplate. The way it was used was to remove the hub assmembly then slide the swashplate tool on the shaft. set on the 3 servo link arms. Now you can turn on radio (with motor disconnected) center sticks on TX  and sub trims. plug in battery to heli. Turn TX  back off. diconnect battery on heli. Now you can adjust linkages and servo arms to match the leveling tool. wow what a difference then using the eye.
hope this helps
Old 09-21-2007
Master
Moderator III

theecoop, dDoes it look like this one? I found Grandrc sells it for about $15

Here are the instructions on how to use it.

Instructions:

1-Place the swash plate leveling tool on a surface known to be perpendicular (90 deg.) to the main
shaft. This can be the upper main shaft bearing, the upper main shaft collar or the top of the main
rotor head. In some cases, the head button will have to be removed if using the top of the main rotor
head. Place shims under struts and/or skids until both levels indicate helicopter is perfectly level in
both directions.

2-Move the swash plate level now on top of the swash plate. It may be necessary to first remove the
main rotor head and washout assy to provide adequate clearance for the swash plate leveling tool to
be inserted.

3-With radio system on, set collective to mid-range of travel. This will near 0 deg for a 3D set up or
near 2 deg for FAI, Scale or beginner set up. Adjust linkages going to swash plate as necessary until
swash plate is level in both directions. (NOTE: If you're using the swash plate leveling tool on a
helicopter that has been flown and trimmed for flight, it is common for the swash plate to not indicate
level. This is due to the offset trim necessary for tail rotor anti-torque and center of gravity and
horizontal fin selection.). Raise collective stick to full hi Pitch  position while observing both levels on
swash plate leveling tool. Repeat above for full low Pitch  position.

4-If movement is either or both directions is observed, first check for mechanical linkages that all
should be perpendicular (90 deg) to the servo output horns. If all are found to be correct, this
unwanted movement can be electronically mixed out by activating an electronic mixer now found in
most transmitters. The most advanced transmitters now incorporate mixers with multi point mixes
that can be curved similar to a Pitch  or throttle curve. This is the best choice for correcting the
unwanted movement in that the amount of unwanted movement will vary by collective stick movement.
Set up mixing so that the collective is the master channel and the Roll  (ail) or fore/aft Pitch  (elev) is the
slave. In otherwords, when ever the collective channel is moved, it will automatically mix in the
appropriate correction to offset the unwanted movement. The center point of the mix will be the center
of the collective system where you first leveled the swash plate.

5-With swash plate level on swash plate and mixing function active, repeat step 3 and add correction
in mixing function as necessary until swash plate will remain level through out it's entire range of
travel.

For more advanced set up and flight trimming check out FMP's Ultimate heli setup tool. This tool
used in conjunction with the swash plate leveling tool will provide the most accurate setup and flight
trim available today.

Last edited by eddiemoth; 09-21-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2007
Lieutenant Colonel
Site Supporter
Tech Support VI
Moderator VI

Send a message via AIM to swatson144
I'm with Ant.

It seems that a cyl the same aprox. dia as the upper swash bored to the shaft size would do a wonderful job of squaring the swash to the shaft.

OTOH I haven't bothered to make any as...If your servo links are the correct length the swash is automatically level....After the flight trimming is done I always wind up with a little tilt on the swash to compensate for the tail rotor thrust.

Admittedly never trying one, I have the personal opinion it's in the same league as a skid alignment tool.

Steve
dé·jà vu n. [French : déjà, already + vu, seen.] An impression of having seen or experienced something before. The feeling you have needed to buy; Main Blades, Main Shaft, Spindle, Grips, Fly bar, Fly bar control arms, Boom, and struts.
V. I just dé·jà vu'd my heli.
Old 09-21-2007
Pre Phd
Site Supporter
Tech Support IV
Moderator IV

Skid alignment tool!!! That one has passed me by Steve !

I just have a nice Pitch  gauge and you soon get an eye for setups once you have done a few but sitting the heli on a table is a must, unlike some I have seen trying to set them up on the floor !

Martin

http://www.ukheli.com for my New T-Rex 600n NITRO and 600e Electric build site
Old 09-21-2007
Lieutenant Colonel
Site Supporter
Tech Support VI
Moderator VI

Send a message via AIM to swatson144
Setting a heli up on the floor? OOH I couldn't afford that. I'd have to supply a helper with beer. When I finished setting it up he'd help me up. Yep Gimme a work bench over a swash leveler, or skid aligner any day.

Steve
dé·jà vu n. [French : déjà, already + vu, seen.] An impression of having seen or experienced something before. The feeling you have needed to buy; Main Blades, Main Shaft, Spindle, Grips, Fly bar, Fly bar control arms, Boom, and struts.
V. I just dé·jà vu'd my heli.
Old 09-21-2007
Value Member

Eddiemoth, here is a link
http://www.rchover.com/inc/sdetail/49347
Old 09-21-2007
Master
Moderator III

Thanks for the link. It has an interesting look.

Old 09-21-2007
Value Member

it was the first time knowing of or seeing one, It did the job with ease. was cheap for the time it saved